- This event has passed.
May Bank Holiday Weekend 4th-6th May
Saturday, 4 May 2013 - 10:30am
Ride or Event Navigation
Following the success of our weekends in the New Forest (October 2011) and Bourton-on-the-Water (June 2012), we are now organising a weekend near Yeovil in south Somerset, for the bank holiday 4th-6th May. Our centre will be Odcombe and accommodation, as before, will be either B&B or, for the hardy, we have found a handy campsite: The Masons Arms in Odcombe has a campsite at the back (£14 for tent, car + 2). There are also a few rooms in the hotel itself.
How to book accommodation
The Tourist Information Office for south Somerset has details of local B&Bs. Follow the link and on the right-hand side of the web page you will see “Accommodation Type”. Choose “Guest Accommodation” and “Yeovil area” to see a good choice of B&Bs. I have phoned a few to check availability. The cottages look beautiful. Click here to download full details for printing.
The options – once you have booked your accommodation
You can be part of this weekend in a variety of ways:
- Travel down after work to your B&B on Friday 3rd May
- Travel early Saturday in your cycling kit, park in Odcombe, and join one of the Saturday rides (see Programme below)
- Join us for the meal on Saturday and one of the Sunday rides.
The programme – both rides include coffee and lunch stops
- Meet at The Masons Arms for 10.30am start (the late start is for those travelling down in the morning)
- Choose the “family ride” (average speed 8-10 mph) or the “touring ride” (11-13 mph)
- Meet at pub 7pm for meal 7.30pm (they have 2 dining rooms, one seats 15, the other 18. I have provisionally booked for 15).
- Meet at the pub for 10am start, again choosing family or touring ride.
- Make your own arrangements for dinner
Monday (depending on what people want)
- EITHER travel back home
- OR stay for a short morning ride at family pace.
If you choose to ride on Monday, bear in mind that you’ll have to clear your B&B room before the ride.
If you would like to take part, book your accommodation now then click on the red button below to fill in the attendance form.
On Saturday, Peter led our group of 12 on a 100km hilly ride (see the Garmin Connect link), with 1,628m of climbing and several 18-20% hills. A bit more than we are used to on our leisurely Sunday rides! The 9 members of CTC Oxford City were joined by 3 from further afield – Caversham and Newbury. Five of us camped; the others found B&B accommodation close to Odcombe. Sunday’s ride to Glastonbury was led by James, thankfully much easier, allowing us to recover from Peter’s 6-hour ordeal (only joking Peter; you know I like hills). After this, you might think we would all want to go straight home on the Monday, but no. Most of us went out for yet another ride before packing up to set off home and join the bank holiday traffic jam on the A303.
Full ride leader
Helen Beane - (Log in to see phone)
Full ride leader
Ride venues and times
|Broad Street, Oxford|| 10:00am
|The Masons Arms, Odcombe|
|All of the times (apart from the start time) are approximate only, as weather or punctures may affect them.|
Ride options and attendance
Please note: you need to log in to see the list of people who attended the ride.
|The pace listed above is the average pace we do, so in general when cycling along the flat we will go a bit faster than the average pace. Please be aware of this if you are wondering whether you will be able to keep up on the ride.|